[ST] Tea bags and stuff - again

Ashley wrote:

>Thank you Mr Negativity. I am known for my very positive attitude toward
Triumph and nothing I see here in Australia or in the UK makes me doubt
there resolve and professionalism.

I already commented on why U.K. might not have a problem. So you hear no
evil, see no evil and speak no evil? Good for you.

>I have heard lots of reports of bad dealers in the States and some parts
availability problems but you make it sound as though Triumph is on the
verge of collapse. I know America is an important market but it isn't the be
all and end all. Harley sales have nothing to do with sales of motorcycles
in general, I don't need to tell you the type of person that buys a Harley.
Motorcyclists buy Triumphs. As I have said I don't live in England and
Triumph are going from strength to strength, sales here last year increased
81% and there is a growing number of aftermarket parts available. Don't
blame Triumph because people aren't making parts for their bikes in the
States.

So you've heard that there are problems with the "dealers" in the states? I
am hearing and experiencing that ToA has a lousy parts distribution system.
The dealers seem to be fine, although there are occasional problems with
service (some of which have been posted on this forum). Apparently, ALL U.K.
and Aussie dealers are wonderful. Good for them. I live in the U.S. and my
concern is what happens here. England is across the Atlantic, and Australia
is across the Pacific. I am in the middle of North America (not too far from
Canada), a rather large continent. Harleys are motorcycles and have a lot to
do "with sales of motorcycles in general". Harley is a very successful
motorcycle company. Triumph could learn something from them or any of the
other successful motorcycle companies. Good companies learn from each other.
It's good business practice.

Companies (motorcycles and others) come and go. Triumph has already "gone"
once. I don't want them to "go" again. I own a Triumph ST and am speaking
from experience. I like my Triumph. I have also owned Harley Davidsons, so I
guess I do know "the type of person that buys a Harley". What type of person
owns them in Australia, "Mr. Sunshine"? You opine that "Motorcyclists buy
Triumphs"?  Actually, motorcyclists buy many different marques, including
those nasty Harleys. You seem to be very Eurocentric. You should try to get
over that.

I don't blame Triumph for the lack of aftermarket parts. They don't make
aftermarket parts. However, it is an advantage to be able to have multiple
sources for parts. Anyone who has worked in any business that uses hardware
knows this.

>I sometimes wonder if some people want to see Triumph fail so they can say
"I told you so", Triumph don't seem to be suffering any problems that are
going to cause it's demise unless you are privy to information the rest of
us aren't. I am on several Triumph lists and the vast majority of owners are
very happy with there bikes,(even the Americans ;-)) the service they get
(when they have found a decent dealer) and parts availability doesn't seem
to cause many of them major problems.

Nobody wants Triumph to fail. We want them to improve and grow. You aren't
one of those conspiracy theorists are you? My dealer is Trackstar in
Minneapolis. They sell Triumph, Cagiva, Ducati, Yamaha and Suzuki. They are
an excellent dealer. I haven't broken anything major on my bike, and neither
has my brother or brother-in-law, who both currently own Tigers (we had
BMWs, previously). We haven't really needed any service. We have had to
order parts and this is where ToA sucks. However, Hitching Post, another
excellent dealer who sells BMW, Honda and Yamaha dropped Triumph soon after
I bought my bike in '99. The other 2 dealers I know of are rather distant,
so I don't keep track of them.

>I wish you luck with your next bike whether it be a Kawasukaha or whatever
but don't complain when nobody gives it a second glance on the street. ;-)

I don't buy bikes because I am looking for "a second glance on the street".
However, I have had people tell me how nice they thought my bikes looked
whether they were American, European or Japanese. I buy whatever I think
suits me best. Kawasakis, Hondas, Suzukis and Yamahas are nice bikes and
worthy of a look. With so many choices, who needs luck? Do you have a
problem with Asians? I am engaged to one (from Viet Nam). I don't stick to
European women either although I was once married to one (not divorced by my
choice, so don't get on me for that one). There are 3 billion women in the
world. Many choices! I suppose you just like the English and
European-Australian ones. They are nice, but check out the others too. They
are nice also.

Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------