[ST] Postillion

> From: Neil  Tracey <Neil.Tracey@xxxxxxxxx>
> >>postillion??
> a person who rides a pair of horses that draw a coach??
> haven't heard that word in use since I read Dirk Bogarde's book!
>
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Kevin=20Smith?= <ksmith955@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I thought it was the guy who sat at on top of the
> coach in a sufficiently exposed position to be struck
> by lightning.  But if that's correct, what do you call
> the bloke who rides the horses who draw the coach
> driven by the coachman on top which (NOT WHOM
> - -careful!) the postillion sits?

Okay, okay,

So I got tripped up by a family Malapropism.... It certainly wasn't the
first time, and I daresay it wont be the last.

(FWIW, the shorter OED gives one option as the rider of the back horse (of
two) drawing a coach - so it's almost there ~:)

Thanks for those of you who were quick to cast nasturtiums [sic] on my
prose...

Regards,
- --
BRG