Fw: LDRider: TATT - Jim Young, The Epilog

- ----- Original Message -----
From: ThinAirTT@xxxxxxx
To: ldrider@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2001 4:44 AM
Subject: LDRider: TATT - Jim Young, The Epilog

All,

Well, just as we suspected Jim met with trouble very early in the rally.
But, just as we didn't suspect he was only on CO-141 for a few miles.

Just north of Naturita he turned onto CO-90 and headed for Utah.
It was on Paradox Hill where Jim lost his life, a simply fine piece of
Colorado real estate.  Off the edge and down to an unforgiving terrain,
death came in an instant.

The search efforts there had included 2 or 3 helicopter flyovers,
scoured by motorcycle, and this past Tuesday I personally was less
than 100 feet from the point where Jim left the road.  I had parked the
van and walked downhill to use the binoculars around the two turns below.
The motorcycle and rider were almost completely under the canopy of a
Juniper bush preventing observation from the sky.  And the dropoff was so
severe, they could not be seen from a passing car.

The ThinAirheads offer our heartfelt sympathy to all of Jim's family,
many of whom are here in Montrose.  Condolences also to his many
friends, some he'd never met.  He will be sorely missed.

There will be a memorial service here in Montrose on Saturday afternoon.  As
soon as the family sets a time, I will post it to the list, so we may all
join in
a moment of silence for motorcyclist Col. James E. Young, Ret. 1951-2001.

God bless, Jim.

Bill

If someone could cross post this to any other appropriate list,
it would be appreciated.