[ST] Re: Risers and neck problems

>From: "Daniel Miller" <sportybird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>My wrists haven't been sore, but my neck
>was already sore before I bought the RS and my neck is what's aggravated
>right now. I hope to be able to sit up just a tad more to help with that.

I've got the risers and at first I thought that I needed the ST bars as
well.  Now I've changed that opinion.  I also rode a friend's RS without
risers the other day and I actually didn't notice much of a difference.  It
took a few miles before I even remembered that I had risers.

Regarding your neck, this is likely a postural problem.  The more forward
the seating position, the more extension of the neck -- unless you
consciously modify it. I have neck and serious back problems (as well as
torn cartilage in both knees -- what the hell am I doing on a sport bike???
- -- so I am very aware of my neck position.  Try to catch yourself and
correct the posture if you notice your chin sticking out to far or your neck
in extreme extension.  I try to avoid too much extension, and when the
opportunity presents itself, I do neck flexion exercises (touch your chin to
your chest and hold for a few seconds, repeat).  Working on computers tends
to develop a neck posture that is more extended too.  Sitting properly and
maintaining a good lordosis in the neck and lower back are very important.