Re: [ST] Question on Fiamm horn installation

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Keith Winter wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2001, at 15:04, Thomas Emberson wrote:
>
> > I actually have two of them in, but looking at the OEM wires to
> > the horn, even if there was a relay in there some where, I would
> > highly doubt the ~22 gauge wire supplied would be enough to get
> > the full effect you are looking for.
>
> Yeah, 20 gauge could be pretty small for the task; do the FIAMM horns
> specify the current draw?  Should be able to ascertain if 22 gauge is
> enough if the current is known.

It is not just the wire. As well the current must go through the thumb switch
as well. From what I understand the contacts are pretty small. From one or two people comments who have attempted installation without relays have said the FIAMM's arn't
much louder than stock. Until they added in the relay.

> > I would highly recommend you do as I and several other people have.
> > Add in a relay with a 10-20 A fuse inline to the battery directly.
> > Use decent wire, 16 gauge or better. As well supply your own ground
> > to either the main frame or the battery itself.
>
> Thanks for the advice; I'll certainly take it into consideration.

Hey, I'm only a EE, what would I know.

Tom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664