[ST] Stock Suspension and Handling Update

I wanted to report on the final outcome of trying to improve the stock
suspension on the Sprint.  First I want thank the various list members,
and Eric and David especially, for comments and help with the suspension
setup.  To re-count, I spent the last several weeks playing with the
stock suspension, trying to tighten up the handling.  The following
settings are the best I can do with the stock suspension.  This is for a
00 ST, 200 lb rider.

Front:
   Oil - 10W @ 145 mm
   Pre-load -  8 mm showing (measured from top of hex nut to top of
stem), or about 2 1/2 Lines

Rear:
  Rebound damping - 3/4 turn out
  Pre-Load - 8 turns out

Note that (duh!) these are really just the settings for "Firm" given in
the owners manual, except the rear rebound is a little stiffer, not that
the trimmer screw does that much.

I had tried 15W oil, but it gave too much rebound damping for the stock
spring rate.  10W gives a somewhat harsher ride than the stock Showa SS8
oil, but seems to set the rebound damping about right.  The solution to
this of course is to add the Gold Valves emulators to reduce
compression, but for now, these settings seem to give about the best
stability and handling I can get from the stock suspension.

While experimenting, I will say that I found some pretty terrible
handling at points if the pre-loads and such were set very far off from
stock.  The original factory oil in the forks was at about 175 mm and
uneven between legs (stock is 145 mm), so if nothing else, either
checking it yourself, or having the dealer double-check the oil levels,
is worthwhile.  Other than that, be sure to double check the pre-loads,
as at several points I was sure I had set it at some value, only to
measure it and find my memory was wrong.

In summary, the handling improved substantially by simply going through
the bike, and making sure everything was adjusted properly at the firmer
recommended settings, and going to a slightly stiffer oil at the
recommended height.  Surprise, surprise - the factory settings are about
as good as one is going to get with the stock suspension.

I'm done playing with it, as the only next step beyond is to go the
RaceTech/Ohlins route.  With the above settings though, I find the bike
very stable and solid even is severe cross winds, and it handles very
well on some "Deal's Gap" type switchbacks that we have on some secret
backroads in upstate NY.  Looks like I won't be leaving for Florida
until the 19th, so I will miss the Eastern Rally.  Shame, as I was
hoping I might fit it in.  Oh well, that is what Western Rallys are for,
I suppose.

Rick Hartwick
00 ST
South New Berlin, NY