Re: RE: [ST] RE: (ST) RE: (ST) New Daytona (And superbike review spoilers

On right hand turns, you are pretty close to the limit when you touch the peg. Last Sunday I levered somethng into the pavement hard enough to move me off my line. When I checked later, all I could see different was a scrape on my rear brake lever. I'm not sure what touches down after the peg on the left side.

I think this is a ground clearance thing more than a choice-of-line issue, because when I augered the brake lever, I was following a Ducati 916 and a trick not-quite-street-legal Honda RC51. I took the exact same line through the corner as they did, and neither of those bikes scraped the pegs.

I also believe my suspension played a role. We were riding on rough pavement, and the guy behind me said just before I sent up a shower of sparks and moved off my line I hit a small pothole. He was riding another RC51 (totally stock), and neither Hondas nor the Ducati were as affected by the rough pavement. Behind us were two Suzuki TL1000S, and both guys riding those bikes said they had a hard time on that rough stretch.

>>> "Andrew" <yogig@xxxxxxxxxxxx> - 8/9/01 8:37 PM >>>
I touched both pegs on Wednesday at Portland Int'l Raceway.  Right peg
and boot in turn 1, and left peg and boot in turn 4.  First time I have
ever run out of ground clearance on my RS.  Both were pretty high speed
constant radius turns.  I took turn1 at about 75 and turn 4 at about 60.
(Estimations, I had my speedo taped.)  If this lack of ground clearance
keeps up, I may have to start hanging off.  BTW, I pulled both a ZX-6R
and an F4i on the front straight with the RS, and it is at least 150 lbs
heavier with me on it, than both of those 600's and their riders.  Gotta
love the Triple.  Come out of 9 in 2nd or 3rd, you still get basically
the same drive.

Andrew
00 RS Yellow
http://ultrasupercool.com