[ST] RS famous last words!

Hi gang

You may recall me crowing recently about how my RS never goes wrong, always
runs perfectly blah blah.

Famous last words!

This afternoon heading for home from a day out, the bike just died on me.
One moment it was running fine, next moment nothing. At first I thought it
might be fuel (I was coming down a steep hill), but nope, I still had at
least a gallon sloshing about in there, and turning it to face uphill in a
layby made no odds. I sprayed up the sidestand switch, clutch switch and
kill switch with my trusty WD40, still nothing. Checked all the fuses. Tried
the alarm in various modes. Tried switching off and on again with the key
several times. Tried the kill switch off and on. Even tried disconnecting
the battery for a few minutes. Nothing. It turns over fine on the starter,
but there's not even a hint of it trying to fire. The only unusual sign is
the LEDs flickering on and off while the engine is turning over, which I've
never seen it do before, and makes me think "electrics, uh-oh". I do wonder
if it was damp ... the bike had been sitting all day in a brisk sea breeze
carrying fine misty drizzle, the sort of fine stuff that gets into and soaks
everywhere. But I've been through storms and floods without the engine
missing a beat in the past.

I called rescue. A great biker-friendly RAC chap turned up, tried all the
things I'd tried, tried a couple of tricks of his own that looked
suspiciously like hot-wiring, and still couldn't get it going. "It's
probably the ECU" was his opinion, and "I can't interrogate it, it's
Triumph's own system". So, being a Sunday, I had it recovered to my home.
Tomorrow I'll get it shipped to Carl and we'll see. Obviously I suspect the
ECU too .. it went in for it's 12,000 mile service just a week ago, and I
bet it'll turn out to be either the latest tune which was downloaded then
(yes I think it's the very one that others on this list have reported
problems with recently), or more simply a connection left loose or dry at
that service.

Meanwhile, does anyone have any ideas, or want to place any bets? If it is
that latest tune, what have other folk done to cure it? Or did you just go
back to an earlier tune? Thanks in advance.

Barry the unhappy worried biker