Re: [ST] R1

I spoke with a Yamaha rep yesterday, and apparently this info was released a bit prematurely, and has been pulled because these images were just 2001 models altered with different color schemes and black frames. I thought this was obvious, since Yamaha hasn't released any info on the 2002 R1 yet, but I can see where some more literal-minded people might get confused. Some folks just have minds like the proverbial steel trap.

Anyway, I downloaded a bunch of the images before the site was shut down. Unfortunately I didn't download some of the wilder images (black with red flames, purple, black and red). I just downloaded the ones I would actually consider buying. If anyone is interested in seeing these, email me off list. Just remember, these are only 2001 models with experimental paint schemes.

Which would be perfectly fine with me. A couple of weeks ago I was out for a hard ride with a fellow on a GSX-R1000. We weren't riding flat out, but we were pretty close to the limit of sanity on public roads, even isolated country highways with no traffic to speak of, probably somewhere between seven-tenths and eight tenths of what the RS is capable of. These were really tight, technical, Wisconsin alphabet (county) roads, lots of 15-to-35 mph corners, very few long straights. I had no trouble keeping up with the Gixxer. At no time did I feel the need for more power. What I would have liked was more nimble handling and better suspension--the RS is a bit of a truck in such situations, and the stock suspenders practically had seizures over the rough Wisconsin pavement. In other words, I would prefer the quick steering of the R1 over the extra 15 or so rear wheel ponies of the Gixxer. I hope Yamaha doesn't succumb to the hype surrounding the Gixxer and trade off the very best attributes of the R1 for more horsepower.

My Yamaha source offered no information, and I didn't ask for any. I did tell him I'd seriously consider trading my RS for an R1 if it came in either the solid red or solid silver livery, and he said, "Start saving your pennies."

I know I could upgrade my suspension quite a bit, but I shouldn't have to. I love my RS, but I don't know if I'm willing to drop $1-$2K fixing something I shouldn't have to fix.

>>> "Randy S" <regreps@xxxxxxxxxxx> - 8/14/01 8:29 AM >>>
>Has anyone checked out the color schemes Yamaha is considering for the >new
>R1?
>You can see them, and even vote on your favorite at Yamaha's web site:

>http://www.motorcycle.com/cgi-bin/redirector?www.yamaha-motor.com/surveys/super_sport_color_survey.cfm

>I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new Daytona, but if >Yamaha
>comes out with either the red or silver solid color version of >the R1, I
>won't be able to resist.

I tried to access this site yesterday from MO and it didn't work...neither
does this link.  I'm thinking a solid red R1 would look "the dogs", but I
can only imagine.  Given the choice though, I'd get a blue Daytona.

Randy
2K RS