[ST] Stone Damage to Radiators

Phil wrote:
>I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any stone damage done to their
radiator. I'm considering purchasing a radiator guard for my ST and was
wanting to find out if people think it's really necessary.

Phil,
    It is not necessary to install a radiator guard. The smooth front tire
doesn't really pick up anything substantial to toss onto the radiator and it
is fairly well protected behind the front forks, fender and wheel.. However,
some listers use 3M clear film on the bodywork to prevent pebble chips. If
you put on a front tire with more substantial treads and drive on gravel
roads a lot you might want one. But I don't think the ST would be a good
ride on gravel roads. I also think that putting something in front of the
radiator may affect airflow adversely. STs kick out a lot of heat and I hear
that it gets warm in Australia from time to time. If your fellow riders
aren't using them, there is probably a good reason.
    When I rode dirt bikes in the woods we used radiator guards, but they
were to protect it from brush and deadfall branches and brace the radiator
when (not if) we fell. The knobby tires picked up a lot of crud. I wouldn't
say that you will never have anything hit your radiator because I never say
"never". But it would be a rare occurrence if something large enough to
damage the radiator got into it.
Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------