[ST] new stuff

Howdy all,

Yappin' dawg and I got back (Cleveland) from the rally on Thursday safe
and sound, however she has a sore arse.  (Shoulda taken the ibuprophen
earlier.  Or got a Trophy....Dohh!)  We were the last to leave the
Pisgah (about 2:00pm) do we  get an award for that?  We had an extended
vacation, so we got lost in the Monongahela National Forest in WV for a
few extra days.  Beautiful area for roads/scenery/rally site ehemm,
sorry.  It really is a great place to visit.  Anyway, thanks Lisa, Eric
and everyone else who put forth the effort to make the rally easy for
the rest of us.

Anyway, on to bigger and better things.  Upon returning home Thursday I
proceded to repack my bags for the dealer show in Atlanta where they
revealed the new stuff for '02.  I scratched down as much info as fast
as I could so here it is:

Tiger:  nothing the press already hadn't known so you should already
know that it has the new pressure die cast 955 engine (104hp) and some
suspension adjustments for a firmer ride.

Trophy: 900 is d/c'd.  1200 is unchanged except for color.  Now emerald
green (brighter than BRG) and Agean blue (remember the 95 t'bird?)
Gotta see these in the sun before I make up my mind...

Bonnie: unchanged except color (baby blue?) and some engine cover
cosmetics.

Tbird: unchanged except color.  It comes in an awesome silver/granite
color now.  Gorgeous.

Legend and Adventurer:  bye bye

Daytona:  you've all seen the reviews.  In addition to Blue and Sliver
colors, they have added "Acidic Yellow", much brighter or "lemony" than
Racing Yellow

RS/ST:  nothing new cosemetically except color:  RS- available in acidic
yellow or black.  ST-Blue/red/BRG.  But wait, that's not all......they
now are fitted with the new 955 engine tuned for 120 hp!  Same bike
otherwise. Ready to trade up?  Get those titles out, listers...you won't
be able to keep up with the '02's.

TT600: available in Jet Black/Racing Yellow/Caspian Blue.  Has matching
color intake snorkels this year.  Also available as accesory options for
past year models.

Speed Triple:  also gets the new 955 engine with 120hp- yikes!
Hooligans look out.  And the big question all the T5'ers are waiting
for... Yes! it has the Single-sided swing arm, unlike its fully clothed
big brother.  Yee haw.  It however shares the same tank and tail section
which looks awesome on this bike.  Headlights are arranged slightly
closer together and shares the same instrument cluster as the daytona as
well.  This thing looks much cleaner now in the frontal area.  Nuc
red/Neon blue/Jet black.  I'm sure it has the daytona forks but can't
remember.

For the 100th anniversary, Triumph have prepared a couple special
editions.  The Bonnie and Daytona.  The Bonnie, called the T100 will
have chrome engine covers, knee pads, a Tach (applause), and a badge on
the top of the tank to indicate Triumph's anniversary.   Available in
two tone Lucifer Orange/Silver.  $7599
The Daytona has CF side panels and dash inlays, as well as the same
badge indicating the 100th anniversary affixed to the top of the tank.
But get this:  It is also fitted with the sigle sided swing arm!  I'll
bet they sell a ton of swing arms to be fitted on the standard 02
Daytona as the old swing arm won't go into the new frame.  Just a guess.
Available in Aston Green (very very dark hunter green).

And for the grand finale.... The bike you've all been waiting for....the
rumors can stop now... the all new Bonneville America!  This thing looks
gorgeous.  No pics yet, but, its a highly modified bonnie.  Same engine
but has a 270 crank not a 360.  Dual wall chrome (applause) straight
pipes (without the kink) fat rear tire, forward foot controls, tank
mounted indicator lights/clock a la HD, new tank and badges, custom
graphics with union jacks, ignition under the seat on left.  This thing
is completely restyled and is positively a cruiser not a standard like
the bonnie.  I really don't think there is much borrowed from the bonnie
at all from what I could see.  It looks huge next to a standard Bonnie
(or makes the bonnie look small).  Triumph claim it has the most
accesories available to it than any other model.  They had a few
different Bonneville America's  on display with different accesories
ranging from seats/windscreens/floorboards/graphics/chrome/saddlebags
the list goes on....  These bikes look good.  Nice job Triumph.  Of
course they had about 30 of these babies ready for riding and my first
ride impression is that if you like cruiser ergos, you're gonna love
this thing.  It needs pipes as I'm sure everyone who gets one is gonna
make a loud handle out of the throttle with the "off road silencer".
Expect the same power as the standard Bonnie, as I think its rated the
same.  Very smooth and soft suspension to soak up the road irregularity.
Brakes were a little soft but these babies were brand spankin new, so I
won't hold that against it.  It is also not geared for high speed
interstate use (+80mph) but hey, sprokets are cheap.  Engine vibes are
smooth and unobtrusive yet not invisible.  Pretty cool bike all in all.
$7999.

This Bonneville America has been completely "press blacked out" as this
info is actually only about 24 hours old as I type.  Other than TMA
people, the dealers were actually the first to see/ride these babies
this weekend.  So now you have it, fresh hot news from TMA right at your
fingertips before the rest of the world.

Hope I didn't miss anything, I'll get my film developed and scan in a
pic or two so y'all can see what I'm rantin' 'bout.

Jonathan West
2 dawgs...