Re: [ST] Help w/ electrical problem?

Eric,

Thanks for your help. I got together with a new fellow rider from the SRNE
(Sport Riders of New England, see also: www.sportriders.com ). We'd never
met before, but as we were talking he mentioned he was "out of work".
"Really? Sorry to hear that. What do you do?"  To which Allen replied, "I'm
and electrical engineer." Bingo! He went over the schematic (lousy job they
did, BTW) with me, and we figured out together how everything was supposed
to work.

Turns out that I had switched the two wires at when I replaced the turn
signal stalk. I knew in my heart it was something I likely did, it was so.
Now on most lighting cicuits, it wouldn't make a difference. However, the
brilliant EE's at Triumph economized the schematics by using a single
IC-based relay for both turn signals AND the alarm circuit. In doing so,
they've made it so if you cross those simple wires, the power side of the
circuit is shorted. Normally, we would expect the fuse to blow uner that
condition. But no. In their infinite wisdom, the engineers at Triumph put
the fuse in a position in the cicuit where the only time it would blow is
the bike was running backwards up a hill in a snowstorm with the seat on
fire. The $57(US) relay becomes the systems fuse. Grrr....

Oh well. The cost of my ineptitude.  :-(  All better now though!

Thanks,

Ken M.