RE: [ST] Darwin's Cornering clearances

> Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:34:54 -0700
> From: "Peckham ." <peckhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >What caught my attention was Darwin's less than charitable assessment of
> >the cornering, since when he was out on a "spirited ride" with a
> >group of cronies, he was running out of cornering clearance and none of
> >the others riders were.

> That's because he doesn't know how to ride in such a way as to not drag
> bits.   Some people consider this to be a short-coming in the
> rider, others blame the bike.  I just did 50 laps on my RS at Seattle
> International Raceway at *more* than a spirited pace and no part of the
> bike ever touched down.  I did not hang-off either -- just sat in my seat
> and did quick turn-ins.

IMHO, if you're not draggin' the pegs on an ST (RS), you're not at the limit
of cornering speed. Hanging off (half a buttock left on the seat) will gain
you 7-10 mph cornering speed over sitting upright and in the middle of the
saddle. As for turn ins - not sure what you mean here Peckham, but you don't
have to get the ST upright as early as say a Fireblade, as there's not
enough power on the ST to high-side you.

Race reps have considerably more peg clearance than the ST (Ducati 996 -
definitely, CBRs - less so), but at those angles, you can't dial in all of
the juice available. You HAVE to take a late apex, and get the bike upright
(comparatively) before opening the taps.

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx