[ST] Gel Seat Pads

Ben,

I bought a gel pad seat cushion on my last trip down to Georgia.  I used it for only
a few hundred miles, then took it off and left it in the panniers for the rest of
the trip.  I found it too "squishy", allowing me to slosh around on the seat.  I
felt like I couldn't control the bike as well, since I lost any sensations
connecting my butt to the seat, which made back road cornering feel wierd and
vague.  I suppose for straight line cruising it would be OK, but overall, I didn't
like it very much.

The best I have found so far is sheepskin.  I bought a piece of the cheap synthetic
stuff at the local leather shop, and it is quite comfortable.  The best combination
I have found for long (>1,000 mile trips) is thick leather pants and a patch of
synthetic fleece, with the stock seat.  I think the real sheepskin would be even
better, but I was too cheap to pay the $100 or so for a piece of that.

BTW, if you or anyone else wants the gel pad seat thingy, contact me off line.  I
think I paid $70 or so for it, and will sell it for $30.

Rick Hartwick
South New Berlin, NY
00 Sprint ST