[ST] Re: valves and oil consumption

The clearance is checked between the valve stem and the cam lobe.
In my case I'm concerned the unusually tight tolerances were not allowing
the exhaust valve to completely close.  If this were the case some of the
combustions explosive effort could have seeped past the valve head to valve
seat mating, and this blowby could have caused some damage to the valve
seals, thereby creating a path for oil to be consumed.  Yes Rube Goldberg is
a favorite of mine, but I can see this happening.  Plus it explains my last
round of hard first starting issues.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
<<
OK, I'd like to show my ignorance and ask: why do tight exhaust valves make
oil consumption go up?  An even more basic question, where on the valves are
the clearances actually measured?  You can tell I didn't do my own 12,000
mile service, can't you!

Neil