Brake rotors not warranty items?

A while back my rear rotor warped and shredded for no good reason.  At 4,000
miles with sparing use of the rear brake, it just went to crap.  I was told
at the time that it was considered a part that was expected to break, and
was therefore not warrantied.

I found my warranty booklet over the weekend, the wording of which I don't
remember precisely, but basically it states that anything that should wear
out -- tires, plugs, oil, fork seals -- are of course not covered.

However, it seems to me that if the rotor warped and puked due to wear, I
should see similar wear up front.  It also seems 4000 miles is an
unreasonably short time to wear through pads, nevermind a rotor (and once
again, that's with sparing use of the rear!  i don't wear huge clogs,
either, so there was no inadvertent riding of the brake).

So, think I have any recourse? Who could I contact for clarification (ToA?),
understanding that my dealer has already taken the position that I'm outta
luck?