Re: [ST] Brake rotors not warranty items?

Justin,

 I just did a rear brake job on my ST at 9,000 mi. I checked the rotor
runout and thickness and they were almost like new, very little ware.
Just for the heck of it I also checked the front rotor's. They were also
like brand new. I would check with other Triumph shops and see what they
say. If that is no joy, call or write to Triumph American and see what
they tell you.

 Hope this helps
 Paul Reyes
 99 ST Blk

"by way of Message_Redirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

> From: Justin McCarthy <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Brake rotors not warranty items?
> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:45:54 -0800
>
> A while back my rear rotor warped and shredded for no good reason.  At 4,000
> miles with sparing use of the rear brake, it just went to crap.  I was told
> at the time that it was considered a part that was expected to break, and
> was therefore not warrantied.
>
> I found my warranty booklet over the weekend, the wording of which I don't
> remember precisely, but basically it states that anything that should wear
> out -- tires, plugs, oil, fork seals -- are of course not covered.
>
> However, it seems to me that if the rotor warped and puked due to wear, I
> should see similar wear up front.  It also seems 4000 miles is an
> unreasonably short time to wear through pads, nevermind a rotor (and once
> again, that's with sparing use of the rear!  i don't wear huge clogs,
> either, so there was no inadvertent riding of the brake).
>
> So, think I have any recourse? Who could I contact for clarification (ToA?),
> understanding that my dealer has already taken the position that I'm outta
> luck?

End of st-digest V2001 #731