[ST] RE: st-digest V2001 #732

Hi Rick,

An interesting "little" problem...

The day after a long-ish ride, the battery appeared to be dead - the one day
I didn't plug the bike in.  You know, the usual slow groaning engine
rollover, with no evident intention of starting.

Two days charging, still no good, but this has always been how my batteries
have died, in almost all bikes - one day they are fine, the next day they
have retired.  Ordered a new battery - wait three days - top up charge -
install it - push the button - same result.  Hmmm.

Off to the dealer, and to cut a very long story short, nearly a month later,
apparently the oil pump has seized.  This isn't very impressive for a bike
that was 25 months and 11k miles old when it became sick.  Changing the oil
pump apparently involves splitting the cases and God knows what else - major
surgery.

So far, no bike.  I'll let the list know about the end result.

I have to admit, this is putting a little crimp in my enthusiasm to own a
Bonneville as well as the Sprint, which is something I'd been talking to the
dealer about.  It just has a bad flavor to it, since in nearly thirty years
of riding and 20+ bikes, I've only had two bikes which required major work:
a '67 Triumph (which was horribly abused to begin with) which ate a piston,
and this one.

It will be more than interesting to see what Triumph have to say, as this
just shouldn't happen at 11k miles.  My conversations with them to this
point have been very good, so we'll see, but I doubt it will beat the best
recent warranty story I know: a local guy had his entire transmission (full
gearset) replaced at 3 years and 46k miles on a Moto Guzzi!

Alex