[ST] Re: valves and oil consumption

Sorry for the delay in answering, I'm on the digest.
I haven't done enough research to say whether it's intake or exhaust
problems that cause consumption more.  But your example of oily/sooty
tailpipe and cloud of smoke for a short while after start up was happening
too me.

On a side note I did not mean for this to flare up into a big panic over
valve problems, really I don't think it's that big an common an occurance.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
<<
I've been following your explanation with interest and I
understand your concept of how the exhaust valve stem seal could
become damaged.  But doesn't most valve stem seal-related oil
consumption occur on the intake side due to the vacuum which
exists in the inlet tract?  I know there is a brief negative
pressure pulse which occurs just after the exhaust valves close
but otherwise the exhaust tract is under some pressure any time
the engine is running.  Once the engine is shut off, the oil does
puddle in the front of the head, where the exhaust seals could be
below the oil level there.  Wouldn't that leakage past the
exhaust stem seals, mostly into the exhaust ports, create an oily
tailpipe and a cloud of smoke after the engine was restarted?  Am
I missing something here?
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST
"NO Dawg"