[ST] hard vs soft luggage

Hi Ben:
	I have been riding my '00 ST with factory panniers (hard uggage) for the past two years. I have been spoiled by their water tightness, capaciousness, and ease of use. The installation of the mounting brackets was a PIA, but I absolutely love having them onboard.
	I never worry about security. The locks keep the bags and whatever is inside them on the bike. They are very easy to remove or install on the bike.
	The panniers cost me about $800 installed. I consider them essential if you ride distances and/or want to carry things safely.
	Soft luggage can rub the paint and ruin the finish. They can flop around at speed. They are easily cut or tampered with a knife. Most soft bags will not keep your gear dry if it rains. Many of the soft bags available are not as large as the panniers.
	My conclusion is if you have good craft skills, you could buy a set of used or damaged panniers and repair them/repaint them, purchase the mounting hardware and sort of "have your cake and eat it".
All the best,
Howard Stephen Serlick
'00 Blue ST
Philadelphia