Re: [ST] luggage

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, David Earl wrote:

> Maybe it's just your part of the world. I've used soft luggage on trips
> in USA, Mexico, and Canada and never worried about leaving it on the
> bike, and never had a problem. Strangly enough, I worry about it most in
> the US. Generally I remove it when in large urban centers which I rarely
> travel to or stay in.

As far as LD travels, one trick I used this past summer, I was to put my
clothes in (clean) garbage bags and pack them in the side paniers,
except for about 3 days worth which would be kept in a kit bag in the
top box.  So except for the 4th day, where I would have to switch out
clothes from the side paniers, stayed closed. All I had to do would be
to grab the bag out of the top box and go into the hotel. On the 4th day
I would take in the sides and do the exchange.

I do agree with some of what you say about security. During my trip the
only time the tank bag leaves the bike is a night. But I must admit it
is nice to be able to toss the cell phone/camera/gps and such into the
top box when your at a restraunt and you can't keep the bike in sight.

But then again when I moved down here all I had was the RKA tankbag and a duffle
bag bungied to the passenger seat, and had no problems. My first two road trips
on the ST used the same methods:

http://65.65.84.97/new/bikes/lb_1/bike_at_house_2.jpg

On the ST I made bungie stays out of some wire looped around parts
of the rear sub frame under the seat. All total 5 (in good condition)
bungies where used.

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500