Re: [ST] Tyre Q+A

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Keith Tynan wrote:

> I thought I'd share a recent exchange with Lionel Smith of (Cooper-)Avon
> Tyres (the correspondent from their site's 'Contact Us' button):
>
> > 1) I've laid my bike up for the winter (at least until Easter). I've
> > heard it suggested that it's better to reduce the pressures. If so,
> > to what?
>
> No, do not reduce your tyre pressure if the machine is to be stood,
> this allows too much flex in the sidewall and can promote cracking, or
> premature aging
>
> > 2) The bike has a centrestand, which keeps the rear tyre off the
> > ground; the front is on the ground. Is it necessary to periodically
> > rotate the front to a different contact point - would weekly be
> > enough?
>
> It is good to rotate the front tyre onto a separate spot, and weekly
> would be more than sufficient

I've heard of people fitting a couple of pieces under the bottom of the
front forks to keep the front tyre of the ground as well. If this is the
case I can't see any harm in removing air pressure. But really, how long
does a mo-cycle tire last. I don't think I have ever had a tire last on
a bike for more than 1 year. Of course even in Ottawa I put more than
8,000 miles on the ex500 the first year. Not bad for getting the bike in
June (I think).

Tom

 Thomas Emberson
 '01 BRG Sprint ST (last count 7 months old, 13,700 miles)
 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500