[ST] An Introduction - and a question

My name is Ed Neu.  I just bought a new British Racing Green 2001 Triumph
Sprint ST this past Saturday.  Due to inclment Florida weather (rain) I have
only ridden about 70 miles and those at under 3500 RPM.
This break-in schedule is torture, the bike taunts me with that throttle.

I have had several older British Bikes in the past.  I look forward to the
profound insights of this group, and yes I coughed up the membership fee
already.

I noticed (in my short experience) that alot of dirt gets thrown on the
swingarm and the monoshock.  Is that what the rear hugger prevents?  How is
the Triumph one, what is it made of, any experinces with it?  Are there any
other kinds people would reccomend?

Thanks,

Ed