RE: [ST] Arai policy change for Phone and internet sales

Not to mention, knowing what little I do about
production, it seems that it would be less costly
(overall) to produce the same helmet for
everyone...you just have to subject them to different
sets of test for the DOT (or whatever) rating.

Here in the US, we have Snell ratings (is that a
worldwide thing?).  The Snell certification is a
tougher standard that the DOT rating, and as far as I
know  all Arai's are Snell certified - I know everyone
I tried on was, as well as the one I own.

I can show you guys what an Arai helmet looks like
after rolling/sliding/bouncing along a freeway at
100+mph, and maybe even running into the concrete wall
in the median.  It's not mine, but I'm sure my buddy
will let me snap some pics.

- --- Cunningham Andrew <Andrew.Cunningham@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > I'm not sure what legal requirements you have in
> the States
> > but over here in
> > the Uk one of the reasons our Arai helmets were
> more expensive than in
> > Europe was that we didn't except the Euro 'CE'
> mark and our
> > helmets had to
> > be tested again to the level of the UK kite mark
> 'BSI'.  Now
> > in good old EU
> > land we have to accept the lower rating of the
> 'CE' because
> > Brussels says
> > so!  It makes for cheaper helmets but are they as
> safe?
>
> Well I don't think this is strictly true.  An Arai
> Quantum is an Arai
> Quantum, whether it's sold in Sweden, UK, France,
> Germany or anywhere else
> for that matter.  I accept the fact that the
> requirements for a BSI Kitemark
> might be higher than the relevant CE mark, but it's
> still the same helmet.
> I don't think you need to worry about the quality
> brands like Arai and Shoei
> suddenly making less safe helmets because they don't
> have to obtain BSI
> Kitemarks anymore.
>
> Andy
> Lilley Ltd.