Re: [ST] for Vaughn - New Exhaust Opinions

On Tuesday, December 25, 2001, at 06:11  pm, don draper wrote:

> exhausts and I was curious what everyone's opinions were <<<
>
>     The biggest waste of money in motorcycling!  Much more
> performance can be gained by a small change of gearing (sprocket
> size) - all new bikes are geared too high in order to meet Gov't
> emissions requirements - than by any aftermarket exhaust.  They are
> only for those who never got enough of clipping pieces of cardboard
> to the front forks of their bicycles to make an engine like noise.

A lightweight can is the simplest way of shedding a lot of weight, and
high up and at the back is a good place to lose weight from. I saved
30lb on a Honda ditching the standard pipes for a Yoshi 4-1. I haven't
measured the gain on the RS switching to a Ti can but it has to be
10-15lb, the standard can is a heavy lump.

I'm not convinced by the gearing switch, unless you have a particular
set of requirements to meet, like the bends on a particular circuit, you
are as likely to make performance worse as better in a particular
situation.

I think the main difference they make for noise tests is in the
ignition/injection mapping and it is fixed in the alternative program.

Dave