Re: [ST] RS heated grips

I've installed that switch on my 2000 RS twice now, both times in the
recommended spot on the LH bodywork, just under the left grip.

I had the template from the kit for my first installation. It mounts by
removing the two top-mounted round-head socket cap screws on that side. I
abandoned following all the written instructions at that point, because I
did'nt want to risk slicing into the radiator cap. I then removed the body
panel from the bike, and used duct tape to hold the template on in the right
position.

I used a Dremel tool (a self-contained high speed hand-held rotary grinder)
to make the hole. First, i mounted a thin saw, and cut the 4 sides. Then, to
get a nice clean cut, I removed the template and taped right along the
cutting lines. In that position, I was able to cut nice square corners. The
fit of the switch was quite tight, so I used a small mill bastard file (hey,
that's the real name of this tool, wiseguys) to smooth out the cuts and open
it up ever-so-slightly. The switch snapped in perfectly.

It was a little fight ot get it out, however, when I needed to move the
switch to a new piece of bodywork, post-crash. As I am known for 20/20
hindsight, I'll urge others, DO NOT DISCARD  that template. You never know
when you might need it again! My relocation job is as good (if not
better)than the first. I did move it a wee bit forward, allowing much easier
access to the radiator cap.

If I had any other tips, it would be to use a spot of wire lube when
assembling the grips to the bars. That will keep the wires from snagging and
stressing the connection to the heat elements. If I ever get a roundtuit,
I'm going to take apart teh left grip and make a thin insulator for it out
of Delrin or some other insulting material. That's all I think it needs to
eliminate the slight, but noticeable to me, temperature differential between
the left and right grips.

Lastly, athough I don't recall the instructions saying it was necessary, I
did remove the front cowl to have better access to the wiring nested behind
the instrument pod. With that out of the way, finding the right socket to
plug the grips into was a cinch. It was also an easy chore to very neatly
bundle up the excess lengths of wire with zip-ties. A very tidy,
professional looking installation, if I do say so myself!

I have the original instructions, and could send it to you if you e-mail me
your snail-mail address off-list. Use my new e-mail account:
kp.mitchell@xxxxxxxxxxx

Best of luck to you, Dave O.

Ken M.