[ST] RE: Any sparkies out there?

> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 11:04:00 +1000
> From: "Phil" <philbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> It looks to me like the relay is permanently open whenever the circuit has
> power to it and the switch cuts off the main power supply rather than the
> trickle current to the relay. A very strange way of doing it. I can't see
> how the relay serves any purpose at all. The most likely option
> seems to be
> that the brown and pink wires from the switch have different resistances
> although it's possible the difference is in the switch itself like you
> mentioned.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply (and to Paul Fox, who replied off line).

I forgot to put on the diagram that the black [B] feed to connector 55 is
the bike earth, the purple [P] is the unswitched (auxiliary) power, and
green/red [GR] is the (ignition) switched power; but you seem to have sussed
this already.

Your comments echo my own understanding, i.e. the purpose of a relay is to
provide a low-current switch to a high(er)-current supply. However, there
are some other what I would call 'strange' circuits on board the ST. Take
the headlights, for example, where the main/dip switch switches the direct
feed to one dip beam, and acts as the relay trigger to the other dip beam
(for those of us still running two 'eyes'), similarly, the switch is the
direct main feed to one light, and the relay trigger to the other one.

I hadn't thought of it before, but yes, this does suggest that the relay is
closed all the time the bike ignition is on.

I'll borrow/buy a new multimeter in the new year, and check things out both
statically and dynamically in the new year.

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx