New Philips Headlight Bulbs

Ok gang as you may remember I posted about a week ago about a new
series of headlight bulbs from Philips called "VisionPlus" I received
them today from the UK ( they are NOT yet available in the US).

I had previously installed in my Honda Civic the Oscram bulbs that
came as OEM in my ST. I'd replaced the bulbs in the ST with PIAA's (
shortly after getting the ST) and one of the bulbs in the Honda
burned out, and I like to replace bulbs in sets. Anyway, I swapped in
these VisionPlus bulbs and WOW what a difference compared to the ST's
bulbs. Philips is claiming a 50% improvement over standard Halogen
bulbs, and an extra10 to 20 meters of lighting distance. Now I
wouldn't say these new Philips bulbs are 50% better than the Oscram
bulbs but I'd give them a good 20% improvement.

SO to make a long story a bit longer I'm going to swap the PIAA's out
of the ST in favor of these new Philips bulbs, and I have a feeling
that they'll be better than the PIAA's. For those that don't know the
PIAA's are of the Super White type ( these bulbs try to mimic the
look of the new HID headlights found on most of the newer high end
cars) I've been doing some reading and what I've come to understand
is that the Human eye is more sensitive to light in the yellow
spectrum. The PIAA's and the like use a bluish coating to filter out
some of the yellow in a normal bulb. This of course makes the light
look whiter (the HID effect) but since we are now filtering out some
of the light we are trading the cool looking white for less actual
light output. When driving with these bulbs the light is whiter so we
THINK that there is MORE light but in reality there is less light..
whiter light but less. So to sum this all up if you still have the
stock bulbs in your ST or RS and are looking for more light I'd
strongly recommend trying out these new Philips VisionPlus bulbs.
They cost me appx. $24.00 a pair from Fosmo in the UK  and Fosmo is
currently offering FREE shipping.

Erik

http://www.fosmo.com/
http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/automotive/indexflash.html