Re: Speedo accuracy

In your message regarding Re: Speedo accuracy dated Sat, 03 Feb 2001
16:00:08 +1100, Blake Sobiloff said that ...

>BS-  Eric Sheley wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that's it. I had a few people look at it and the general consensus
> > was that because the error exists in the speedo display only (odometer
> > is correct) any change in the pulse would then throw your mileage off.
>BS-
>BS-  Oh, you're right -- I'd forgotten that the odo isn't off, too. Hmmm...
>BS-
>BS-  So, to do it right, I'll need:
>BS-
>BS-  1
>BS-  eMap Metro Deluxe		$349
>BS-  	(eMap v2.50, 8 MB chip, PC
>BS-  	 cable, Metroguide CD set)

<Snipped>

The Emap is capable of holding more map data but the GPS III+ is more
suitable for motorcycle application.

Emap is waterproof to IPX2, GPS III+ is waterproof to IPX7 :-))

IPX2 = Light mist, do not immerse
IPX4 = Rain, splashing water, do not immerse
IPX7 = Submerged to 1 meter for 30 minutes

This is is quite significant when riding in the UK!

The base map on the GPS III+ is adequate for point A to point B navigation
along main roads.  Download of detailed maps is really only needed for the
destination area.  But in any case the map view is, IMHO, too detailed to
be appropriate for use 'on the move' whereas the small 'compass' and large
text view on the GPS III+ is easily readable when riding.

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/