Re: st-digest V2001 #76

In a message dated 2/5/01 9:57:57 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Upon attempting to adjust the chain on my 10 month old, 13,000 mile ST
yesterday (a fiddly job, I feel, at best) I found myself confounded in the
attempt.  After managing to slacken it further to the point of being almost
dangerous, the adjuster refused to budge a further radian.  Judicious
application of the rubber-headed mallet to that horrid huge c-spanner
improved the situation not at all.  I have had to resort to booking it in
for the trusty mechanicians to solve. >>

When the chaps at Rocket Motorcycles adjusted my chain ('99 ST) at its 600
mile check last year, I noticed they had a much better (one-piece ) spanner
than the one in the stock tool kit, and even with that, they didn't find it
easy. After watching them, I decided I probably would have a lot of trouble
trying to do it with the 2-piece one in the stock tool kit. If you are
serious about doing it yourself, I would first watch how your dealer does it,
and then see if you could buy the professional spanner. Dave Collins, San
Diego