Re: weird thing happened to me on my way to work... (longish)

>>The clutch lever became slack and I knew that
>>the clutch cable must have broken.
>>The doo-hickey that holds the clutch cable in place is
>>completely gone!

Tai,

The same thing happened to me...

Late on a Saturday afternoon, just between Christmas & New Year. Somewhere
about an hour out of Omeo, about 400 km from home & the nearest Triumph
dealer. On holidays, fully loaded with luggage & passenger.
Riding along a nice straight bit of road, no traffic, can see for at least
a mile. Click back 4 gears & open it up for a top speed run. Get to 220 kmh
& go to click it into top gear. Clutch lever comes straight into the bars
like the cable has broken....

D'oh, so here I am in the middle of nowhere at the worst possible time,
wondering how I am going to get home & abusing Triumph. Roll to a stop
cursing the fact I had not bought a spare cable for the first time in about
10 years.

Luckily in my case the cable had not broken, but the bit that joins the
lower cable end to the lifter arm had come apart. This appears to have a
pin through it which is just pressed through & not secured at all, except
for the interference fit. This had come out of the lower half of the
bracket, but at least none of the bits had gone astray. I managed to press
it back together with pliers & wrap it all up in cable ties & insulation
tape. This held for the rest of the holiday.

When I got home I found a pin from a brake linkage on another bike to
replace the standard pivot pin. Then I drilled a hole through this & fitted
an R-clip to stop it coming out. This should work better than the Triumph
bit.

How many others have also had this problem ?

Darren Mason.
2000 ST.
Melbourne AuSTralia.