Re: broken cables - other solutions

>>(don draper wrote)
>>A pair of vice-grips (locking pliers) in your tool kit allows you
>>to operate the cable,... if it breaks at the TOP end!

Don, thanks, I'll keep that one in mind & hope I never have to use it.
Here are some other ways I have used to get going with broken cables.....

About 12 years ago, I first started work in Melbourne as a motorcycle
courier on a 1978 Honda CB750/4. Not long after starting & in the dark one
night on my last job of the day, the throttle cable broke up the top. I was
about an hour from home & stuck, so I found an old tube spanner in the tool
kit & tied the cable through a hole in the middle of it. I then rode all
the way home operating the throttle by hooking my thumb over the twist grip
& pulling the tube spanner away from the cable outer to open the throttle.
The next morning I had to ride all the way into the CBD to get a new cable.
Using the above setup was too hard, so I tried to use the return cable to
operate the throttle. Unfortunately the thread on the upper end of the
cable was different between the 2 cables, so I had to swap the cables
around at the carbs & ride all the way to the shop with the throttle
operating in reverse, ie: twist your wrist UP to open the throttle. That
took some getting used to.

A few years later my Katana 1100 broke the throttle cable about 5km from
home. So I just wound the idle up to about 3,000 rpm so it wouldnt overrev
too much & idled home with no throttle. It had enough grunt that I could
get up to about 50 or 60 kmh. If I had to slow down I could just pull the
clutch then brake.

Darren Mason. (oh no, yet another ex-courier on the list)
2000 ST.
Melbourne AuSTralia.