Re: frozen battery

 > >>My battery has frozen, the acid/water is solid.
 > >>Can I defrost then recharge?
 > >>The case is OK.
 >
 > So for those of us who live in areas where this isn't even a remote
 > possibility, how cold does it have to get for the battery to freeze? Does
 > the electrolyte raise or lower the freezing temp? Do people who live in
 > really cold climates have battery heaters like they have engine block
 > heaters?

no, i don't think people use batter heaters, though they might.  warm
batteries certainly provide more power than cold batteries.  the electrolyte
lowers the freezing temperature.  i think the above-mentioned frozen
battery must have been pretty dead, because, reading from:

    http://www.progressivedyn.com/service_battery_basics.html

	Can my batteries freeze?

	 If your battery is partially discharged, the electrolyte in a
	 lead acid battery may freeze.  At a 40% state of charge,
	 electrolyte will freeze if the temperature drops to
	 approximately -16 degrees F.  When a battery is fully charged
	 the electrolyte will not freeze until the temperature drops
	 to approximately -92 degrees F.

in other words, if you battery is kept charged, it won't freeze.

paul

End of st-digest V2001 #79