From: <Mdreckinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 6:02 AM
Subject: Re: st-digest V2001 #78

:
: From the Laverda list......
:
: "Adrenalin - What Colour Is It Anyway?"
:
:  Some of us wear BMW style two piece "open chin" helmets  -  you know the
: type  -  where the lower chin piece can be opened by pressing two thumb
: locks.  Some people have also fitted their bikes with electronic cruise
: control or a version which operates on friction on the throttle - either
: way
: they hold the speed of the bike reasonably constant without any input from
: one's throttle hand.  We also all wear gloves which invariably fasten
: around
: the wrist with either a velcro flap or a press stud;  some of the more
: expensive types have a zip fastener as well, among other features.
:
:  Picture if you will, one lone BMW rider with an opening chin helmet and a
: pair of good quality velcro fastened gloves sailing along the Hume Highway
: at 115 kph (that's all I'll admit to!!) dialled in on the electronic
cruise
:  control.  Weather is good, no cars in the immediate vicinity, scenery is
: boring, no cops, life is good!!  Junction of highway with Albury/Wodonga
: Road about 5 km away,  no need to slow down yet;  bike is running
: beautifully!!   Looking forward to lunch.
:
:  Bugger!  Is that a bee that just got into my helmet through the small gap
: I've left for some fresh air?   Could be.  Well, I'll just open my helmet
: visor to let him out.  Visor up ... no, the little bugger is going to be
: stubborn, cantankerous even!  He's not going to leave and is now behind my
: sunnies, must be tired from all that pollen hunting.  Don't want to be
: stung
: on the eyelid -- I'll just open the chin piece on my BMW helmet (very
: handy)
: and get him out .... let go of handlebars .... squeeze the release buttons
: bike is nicely balanced and holding line well ... speed steady ... no cars
: ... this should be easy ... got the helmet open ... glasses off ... piss
: off
: bee! ... glasses on ... slam shut helmet ... hands back to bars ---- oh,
: sheeite!  Thumbs of both gloves jammed in helmet!!!  Gloves won't move
even
: though I'm pulling like hell!!   Wow, this will be interesting... can't
: quite press the release buttons with little fingers ... junction now 3.5
km
: away ... I know, I'll just pull one or both hands out of my gloves.... no,
: that doesn't work:  "velcro is good stuff,  won't come undone if you fall
: off!"  I remember the salesman saying that.   He was absolutely right,
: they're stuck fast,  I'd have to tear my head off first .
:
:  Well, next brilliant idea, what if I just touched the foot brake ---
: nooo,
: dumb idea!  That won't work, this airhead beemer has great engine braking
: and when I get to about 40 kph and can't balance the bike any longer and
: the
: dreaded BMW boxer wheel-wobble starts, which it will, I am going to have
: major tank slappers --- sheeeiite!!  I'll be off on my bum so quick and
: still hanging onto my helmet so tightly they'll have to bury me in it!!
: Won't do the bike much good either!!!
:
:  Hell, I can see the junction up ahead about one and half k's away and I
: am
: really starting to get the wind up ... tense even ... certain parts are
: beginning to pucker ... if the lights change to red and that huge B-double
: waiting at the lights is in the middle of the intersection when I get
: there,
: jeeesus, I'm going to be a hood ornament next to that bloody chrome bull
: dog!!  Must try and pull hands really hard ... can I make them any smaller
: ... 800 metres ... the left one is giving a little ... maybe the gloves
: are
: slipping on the sweat now pouring from every pore ... 600 metres yes, yes,
: that's it, they're wet with sweat ....... I am going to have to hit the
: footbrake in the next few seconds ... can't hit that @#$*&@ big truck at
: this speed, it might scratch his duco ... yes!  yes! ripper!   Got the
left
: hand out ... now hit foot brake to cancel cruise, de-clutch and slow bike
: with foot brake ... steer for the shoulder ... slowing down ... slide
: foot... stop ... ease out clutch to stall bike ... side stand down ...
: switch off bike with left hand,  right hand still glued to helmet ...
: tintops going past must think I've got toothache ... fall off into grass
: ...
: lay there for 5 minutes till the shaking stops and the adrenaline rush
: dissipates... now release helmet with left hand and remove sweat soaked
: head.  Breathe out ---- shizer!  Was that ever close!  I'll buy a Tatts
: ticket in Albury!
:
:  When I had recovered, I realised there were two observation here:-
: No. 1:
: It's not a good idea to open or shut your helmet when on the move.  and
: No.
: 2:   Did you know, "adrenalin" is brown!!
:
:
*
:       The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by Jack Lilley Ltd.
:           http://www.TriumphNet.com/st/lilley for more info