Lurker comments (was Re: SX Stoppit!)

Jerry Spicer wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>I looked at some of the same bikes you are looking at. I was really
>looking hard at the BMW R1100S and the Triumph RS/ST . The BMW is
>certainly nice but the price is a killer, and the power specs don't
>match up. I also was able to get a year end deal that saved a couple
>thousand dollars as well. The quality in the Triumph is equal to or
>better than any bike out there at almost any price. I have about 1000
>miles on my 2000 rs now and its just awesome. I wanted something like a
>sport bike but more touring, and liked the touring bikes but wanted more
>sport. Thats why I went to the RS. I think Triumph hit a home run with
>the rs, I am not a small person , weighing in at about 235-240 and the
>bike is solid thru corners, hills, down hill, ect..... I also convinced
>my friend to get the RS as well, and he was looking at the
>Yammerhammers. I think he is very impressed with the quality (he's an
>engineer and looks at things from a little differnt perspective than I).
>I think you would be very happy with the RS , and possibly add the soft
>luggage ect..

Thanks for the feedback Jerry.  I had been looking mainly at the ST, but
maybe I should consider the RS as well.  Worth at least a test ride on
each.

I can't believe how few bikes try to address real day to day riding
concerns.  I was in ordering my Givi screen and looked at the various
Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas at the shop, and although I like the
sport bikes suspensions, I don't need the boy-racer look (not at 35
anyway) and impractical ergonomics and attention to any touring needs.
Surely some of these guys at least want to take another pair of shoes or
some files etc. on their commute to work, and may want to occasionally
go for a ride to another city for a weekend even if it's just to see
friends.  I don't want the bulk of a full-up tourer for sure, but I do
want decent ergonomics, touring concessions (lot of factory options for
these babies), decent midrange (which these appear to have in spades) in
a sporting package.  I'm not dragging knee pucks, I just want a spirited
ride from time to time.

It looks to me like these bikes hit the target almost perfectly, with
enough options both factory and aftermarket to make it a near bullseye.
My problem is the never ending renovations, and the fact that I've
bought either a new or new to me vehicle for each of the last 3 years
(wife starting to suspect I don't really need them as much as want them,
shhhh!).  I also spend a fair bit of time/expense on one of those 4
wheeled vehicles, an auto-x Miata.  Getting a coil-over kit this year to
see if we can get the car to run with the Z06 Vettes, my buddy beat them
in the last event last year, but once they get their cars sorted it will
be tough.

>Good Luck

Thanks.

Jeff Goss