Re: Lurker comments (was Re: SX Stoppit!)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Paul Fox wrote:

>  >
>  > I can't believe how few bikes try to address real day to day riding
>  > concerns.  I was in ordering my Givi screen and looked at the various
>  > Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Yamahas at the shop, and although I like the
>  > sport bikes suspensions, I don't need the boy-racer look (not at 35
>  > anyway) and impractical ergonomics and attention to any touring needs.
>
> you should definitely consider the kawasaki zr-7.  when i was shoppping,
> i wanted something a little more different than my previous ride (suzuki
> vx-800), and i'm not a fan of fours, but it looks to be a really excellent
> bike...
>     http://www.activebike.com/index/features/zr7/zr7.htm
>
> even comes with threaded bosses for givi luggage.

hmm, @75 HP he will be not too much further ahead than with his 6.
IIRC, my 98 ZX6e is rated @ 86HP, not sure where the D model comes
in at. The ZX7 might have a bit more tourque in the mid range, but
I would suspenct not that much more. Plus Jeff would also probably
want a front fairing?

As far as what makes up a sport tourer, there are a lot of people
who consider the ZX9r as one, with a tank bag for daily luggage
and a bag on the pillion seat for longer trips, no worries.

But in the real world, all I can say, Eric & Jamie House (sum weight
of ~230 lbs) on a stock Sprint ST kept pace with me last year at
the rally and I was on a '99 9r. If fact more often then not they
where leading.  In deals gap, the stumbles I had on the 9r kept me
a bit further back in some of the tighter twisties, I know excuses,
excuses.

Basically what I am saying, the stock suspension on the ST (IMHO)
will basically take you pretty close to the limits of what most
people are willing to do on the streets. The suspension upgrades
just increase the feel.

The only place where the 9r got the better of the ST was in passing,
but the 9r has 25 more HP and 50lbs less weight, so @ WFO you would
expect a bit more speed.

FWIW, in the twisties, I don't think anyone in the group I was in
went WFO in between the corners, we just kept a nice steady pace,
a lot more enjoyable on the street IMHO.

Thom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664