Re: Garmin GPS

In your message regarding Garmin GPS dated Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:50:23 -0500,
Bailey, Doug said that ...

>BD-  Since I'm planning on doing the Mason-Dixon 20-20 rally in May and a
>BD-  cross-country trip next year I thought it might be useful to get a GPS.
>BD-  After doing a little reading and research I've decided on the Garmin GPS 3+
>BD-  or the eMap.  In the listserver archives I've seen mention of both.  They
>BD-  both are pretty much the same with the exceptions of download memory and
>BD-  waterproofness, low memory and ride through any deluge (3+) or high memory
>BD-  and don't let it get wet (eMap).  So I have a question for each type of
>BD-  owner.  For 3+ users, have you found the 1.44 MB memory a limitation to how
>BD-  much additional info you want to store and how much, i.e., area, does this
>BD-  store?  For eMap users, other than putting it in the tank bag's map bag how
>BD-  else have you found to keep it dry but usable in the rain?  Thanks for your
>BD-  help.

In an ideal world I would prefer that my GPS 3+ had more memory.  However,
as I have mentioned on http://www.sprint-st.org/gps.html I don't use the
GPS in map view when riding.  What I do is route plan on the Map Source
program and give the waypoints meaningful names.  ie R3_nnn (Roundabout 3
0'clock exit, nnn is a reference number)  FR_nnn (Fork Right) TL_nnn (Turn
Left) etc.  I then use the GPS 3+ in 'compass view' with the small compass
and two big fields - current speed and distance to waypoint.  Just above
the compass is the name of the next waypoint - hence I know that in 1.5
miles I will be taking the 3 o'clock exit on a roundabout, for example.
Using the cycoactive mount means that the GPS can be mounted high up in
your field of view (much better than looking down at the tank) and the big
digital speed indicator can partly obscure the STs inaccurate speedo
without causing concern.  The map view is too detailed for use IMHO for m/c
use and changing view with gloves on is tricky (haven't tried it with
summer gloves yet but I wouldn't imagine it would be an awful lot better).
That's my 2p's worth.

I have used the car cigarette lighter plug adapter under the seat and wired
into the rear light supply so it is only powered when I have the lights on
(which is _always_ once on the road)  [can send you some more details and
pictures if you like]

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx