RE: RS v ST

> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:07:26 +0200
> From: Gerrit Herbst <Gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Factors such as air-temp, fuel grade, humidity, type of oil, odo reading,
> software, barometric pressure all play a significant role in the peak
> output.
> I stay 5000 feet asl. I will wait for a dry hot day and have my bike dyno
> tested, record all test conditions and report back. I guess the
> RS will make about 85hp in these conditions.

Surely these two statements contradict? SAE normalises its readings for a
given temperature, pressure and (I would hope) humidity.

I agree that readings are usually accredited with far more precision than is
their due, but it's nice (for me at least) to know what the basis for the
reckoning is.

It should be safe to assume that Triumph's claim of 108 hp (DIN at the
crank) is for perfectly set up, blue-printed engine, and various sources
suggest a production engine may be down on this by up to 10%. If we just
assume a 5% variation, we have a range of 102.6 to 108 hp at the crank.
Frictional losses account for around 15% (theoretical), 16.4% (measured),
bringing us down to the range 86-90 hp at the road.

I conclude were running the same engines as the RS.

BTW, Wilcox (http://www.wilcoxengines.demon.co.uk/695kits.htm - who is
rubbished by a lot of T5net listers for reasons I don't quite understand)
says:

"The Sprint ST, Sprint RS & 955i Speed Triple all share the same engine
specification.

This engine was also developed on our test beds during 1997/98, developed
from the T595 it has a few important differences.

Due to the lower rpm limit on this model and to save cost, the cylinder
liners are made from cast iron and the pistons are cast alloy. The T595
forged pistons and lighter/less friction alloy liners can be fitted as a
direct replacement. This gives a weight saving of almost 2kg. The Connecting
rods are also not shot-peened which means they are not as strong if you wish
to rev the engine any harder.

The camshafts are also milder together with the balance pipe in the exhaust
manifold this gives more low end power/torque but with less at the top end."

It's a sunny day in Blighty today (but -2.5); maybe in another week or two I
can shake the dust covers off and take Wolfram out for a ride. All this
theorising's getting to me...

Regards,
- --
BRG