Re: No more speeding, ever, at least in the UK

In your message regarding No more speeding, ever, at least in the UK dated
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 14:07:18 -0500, Thomas Emberson said that ...

>TE-
>TE-  I hope this is a joke, but hey, its on the internet, it must be
>TE-  true:-)
>TE-
>TE-
>TE-  http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,425344,00.html
>TE-
>TE-  	'Promising' tests on car speed limiters extended
>TE-
>TE-  	Martin Wainwright
>TE-  	Saturday January 20, 2001
>TE-  	The Guardian
>TE-
>TE-  	The government has commissioned a trial of speed limiters
>TE-  	in cars, which could lead to computer-controlled overrides
>TE-  	as a standard fitting within five years.

A discussion with a friend of mine, who is an observer instructor for the
Institute of Advance Motorists was interesting. The view he gave was that
'it will never happen' as the car manufacturers would be the ones to
resist this.  What would you do, buy a new car with a speed regulator or
keep your old, unregulated, one???  Sales of new cars would fall through
the floor.

More worrying is the policy of Zero Tolerance being exercised by some
counties.  An action which is criticised by the Chief Constables of other,
more forward thinking, counties.

Interestingly, the UK governments harassment of the motorist hit the press
again today in the Daily Mail.  They don't have a web site with their news
items on (or I can't find it) so I have reproduced it here
http://www.sprint-st.org/speed.html for those that missed it.  Simon
Heffer has almost got it right but failed to point out just how
fundamentally flawed the DETR statistics are.  Nevertheless he gets the
point across.  The Association of British Drivers web site is worth a
visit if you want more information or to lobby your MP
http://www.abd.org.uk/.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/