Re: British legal question

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Mike Bostock wrote:

> >TE-  A friend works at a company that was just purchased by a British
> >TE-  company. As with many mergers, a bunch of people are getting laid
> >TE-  off.
> >TE-
> >TE-  The question is, is it common in Britain that severance packages
> >TE-  contain a clause ban the person from working for the company,
> >TE-  period. That include, contract work, directly or indirectly (as in
> >TE-  temp agency).
>
> I am not a lawyer but I am am an employer in the UK - it is not uncommon
> for such a clause to exist.  In other words, acceptance of severance pay
> (especially voluntary redundancy) on terms which include forfeiture of the
> payment in the event of re-employment directly or indirectly with the same
> company is a normal condition of such payment.  You can't have your cake
> and eat it!

Hmm, interesting, over hear it is pretty common for down-sized,
merged-out or retired induhviduals to go back and work for their
previous company.

I guess, layoffs in Britain are taken a bit more seriously then.

Thanks again,
Thom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664