RE: Mushy brakes

I just thought I'd tip in my two penn'orth to the debate.

I used to run a 1994 Trophy 3, which had the 'Nissin' Nissin 4-pot
callipers. I'd fitted Goodridge stainless hoses, but retained the stock
pads. This set-up was perfect for me. It was keen enough to squeal the tyre
or stoppie (depending on the state of the tarmac), and had very little
travel once the pads were in contact (how I liked it).

Out of the crate, the ST's brakes were crap. They seemed to bite OK, but the
amount of pull-back increased significantly as they heated up - to the point
where the lever was almost back to the bars under 'enthusiastic' braking.

A *full* change of fluid (I use Shell, but I don't consider brand to be an
important issue) and the brakes are excellent - good bite with some lever
travel once engaged (more than the Trophy), which I've learned to prefer as
it gives more feel and no noticeable fade.

Whilst there may be some logic in the notion of relocating the reservoir,
IMHO this shouldn't be an issue if the level is kept high, and the system's
properly bled. It's not as if it offers a pressure head to any degree.

As for the back brake....I only use it on sensible days ;-)

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx