Re: Powdercoating Recommendations

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, lowedaph@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting my wheels powder coated, and I'm looking for recommendations of a good powdercoating company, preferably in southern California. I know there are some folks on the list who have customized their bikes so I'd appreciate any inp
ut.

Make sure the shop knows what they are doing. On motorcycle rims,
make sure they know to keep the temperature down, there is some
debate on whether common powder coating temperures may reduce
flexability of the rim, making it more brittle.

As well ask them how they prep the bike. If they say they tape over
the mounting surfaces for the rotors and such, this is good. It
can be done, Customer Powder Coating in Dallas does a very good
job of taping, found this out after I dropped my rims off at the
other place.

I got my rims powder coated by "Show and Go" in Garland TX, the
new rims show show up in about 2 weeks :-( When I attempted to pick
them up the first time, the guy doing them boasted that he really
turned up the heat to help with the out gassing, common on cast
AL. I am not sure if they wheel came from the used parts place with
the warp, or it was created in the supper heating. But I will never
go to that business again.

Thom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664