ST rear suspension sag

Hi all,
	As I threatened earlier this weekend, I found a willing accomplice to
help me set the sag on the rear of my ST. The process and results were
quite the eye opener, and left me with a few questions.

Background: I weigh 165 lbs (sans clothing), but 186 lbs in full gear. I
did all the suspension measurements in full gear and with my saddlebags
loaded with my typical junk: a laptop computer and some papers in the
left bag, an extra helmet in the right bag. The gas tank was about 1/3
full. (Yes, it probably should have been 1/2 full.) As setup from the
dealer, the preload was 13 turns out -- not the 12 as specified in the
Owners Handbook.

I reviewed my notes from Freddie Spencer's school regarding suspension
setup, and I also read the RaceTech setup information at
<http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm>. Freddie
recommends between 3/4ths and one inch of sag at the rear, while
RaceTech recommends 30 to 35 mm (1.17" to 1.365"). Both sources
recommended the following formula:

      Static Sag = L1 - ( (L2 + L3) / 2 )

where:

      L1 is the unloaded suspension extension (tire off the ground),
      L2 is the loaded suspension extension after compression,
      L3 is the loaded suspension extension after extension.

I decided that one inch of rear sag would be a good place to start, as a
compromise between the two recommendations.

I already knew that 13 turns was way too soft. As Erik Miner had pointed
out to me several months ago, the head shake I experienced when WOT in
lower gears was likely a symptom of not enough rear pre-load. Remember
that I have RaceTech'd my front forks, so they're stiffer than stock.
The imbalance between the front and rear is likely the cause of the head
shaking. So, I started with Triumph's recommended eight turns for a
firmer ride and worked from there. Here are the results, with the
measurements taken from the top of the seat lock cylinder down to the
top of the rear hub:

8 TURNS:
	L1: 14 12/16"
	L2: 13 4/16"
	L3: 13 4/16"
	SS: 1.5"

7 TURNS:
	L1: 14 12/16"
	L2: 13 4/16"
	L3" 13 5/16"
	SS: 1.46875"

4 TURNS:
	L1: 14 12/16"
	L2: 13 7/16"
	L3: 13 7/16"
	SS: 1.3125"

0 TURNS:
	L1: 14 12/16"
	L2: 13 8/16"
	L3: 13 9/16"
	SS: 1.21875"

Is this typical of what others have found? I'd heard that the stock
shock was supposed to be pretty good and that the range of adjustment
covered most loading scenarios. I'd hardly call my loading extreme --
I'm not even trying to set up the suspension for two-up traveling -- yet
I couldn't get the sag to where I wanted it. Are my sag recommendations
extreme?

At least it was nice to see that the rear shock didn't show much stiction.

I took a quick spin in between the rain showers to see what the new
settings felt like. Although the conditions wouldn't allow any WOT runs,
even the half (OK, OK, 3/4) throttle runs felt much better. I felt very
little squat on acceleration, and there was no perceptible head shake,
either.

I'll try this pre-load for a few weeks and see how it feels, but it
looks like I need to get a heavier rear spring. If this was the max
girlfriend for some weekend escapes on the back. In that case, I'll need
some more adjustment room.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA