[ST] RE: Rear Brake

Previously, you (Joel Ashman) wrote:
> I'll second the necessity to use the rear brakes.  They provide something
> like 30%-40% of your stopping power.  And they help to keep the front from
> diving.  Heck, when I took my cycle test in Virginia, the instructor
> specifically looked to see if I was using the rear brake.  It would have
> cost against my score had I not.
>
> [... snip ...]

My tongue-in-cheek comment of "Rear brake? There's a rear brake? Oh, you
mean the panic brake." seems to have caused quite the flurry.  I've been
thoroughly amused by just sitting back and reading all the arguments and
commentary on both sides of the issue.

Sure, I use the rear brake.  However if I'm coming toward a stop I'll
likely just downshift to use engine compression braking and give a light
touch to the front brake only during the "slow down" phase.

During the final "stop phase" I'll use both brakes then, when stopped,
release the front while keeping my foot on the rear, my hand on the
clutch, and my eye on the mirrors.  I was rear-ended once (previous bike
and no real damage, thankfully) and I never want to have that happen
again!

Is there a single "right way" to brake for all circumstances? I don't
think so.  But the MSF can only afford the time to teach one style of
braking.  So they err on the safe side and teach the method which will
give the best results for situations where you most need braking --
emergency stops.

I'll be glad when spring arrives in the North and we can get back to
bragging about the quality of local roads again.  ;-)

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"