Subject: [ST] RE: Rear Brake

Keith,
    I didn't offer any statistics, but would the extra 6 feet of distance
when stopping front brake only (solo) put me in the front seat or on the
hood of the car I hit from behind? Having ridden dirt bikes, the instability
with a locked rear wheel is proportional to the angle off vertical (lean).
When the rear wheel was on the ground, I would use it for traction, even
momentarily. Not ever braking with the rear, is kind of goofy.  Even if the
benefit is marginal, why not get all there is? I hear people gushing over 2
more horsepower with another muffler and EFI program and paying for the
privilege. I never would say that there aren't occasions where front only
technique is useful and possibly beneficial, just that avoidance of using
the rear at all doesn't make much sense.
    Why does Honda bother with linked brakes and BMW with anti-lock? There
must be a tangible benefit to exploit (aside from money). Design Engineers
are pricey. Also, magazine "research" might be slanted by the skill and
techniques journalists conducting the test. I am not familiar with 'Das
Motorrad'? Is it doing accredited research or is it just doing an article?
You'll have to excuse my skepticism. I usually read a few articles with
opinions and try to make sense from the lot.
Ciao,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------