RE: Subject: [ST] RE: Rear Brake

> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:24:43 -0600
> From: "Robert Fastner" <bobfastner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Keith,

Bob,

I assume you mean me... there're a helluva lot of Keiths around the place
('specially on the Eastern side of the pond), so I tend to use the 'BRG'
handle... :-)

>     I didn't offer any statistics, but would the extra 6 feet of distance
> when stopping front brake only (solo) put me in the front seat or on the
> hood of the car I hit from behind? Having ridden dirt bikes, the
> instability with a locked rear wheel is proportional to the angle off
> vertical (lean).
> When the rear wheel was on the ground, I would use it for traction, even
> momentarily. Not ever braking with the rear, is kind of goofy.
> Even if the benefit is marginal, why not get all there is?
> I never would say that there aren't occasions where front only
> technique is useful and possibly beneficial, just that avoidance of using
> the rear at all doesn't make much sense.

I can't dispute what you say, Bob.

The data were intended to illustrate the theory of the situation. I think
the practice, like a lot of biking, is more of an art form, and up to the
capabilities of the individual. In that light, I'd be surprised if any two
people rode the same way!

(As for spending loads of dosh for an extra 2 hp, I can rubbish that
advantage at one sitting!)

>     Why does Honda bother with linked brakes and BMW with anti-lock? There
> must be a tangible benefit to exploit (aside from money). Design Engineers
> are pricey. Also, magazine "research" might be slanted by the skill and
> techniques journalists conducting the test.

IMHO the bike firms backed by car giants have a bit of a tendency to
transfer car technology to bike design, whether or not there is an existing
problem. Then to push this as a marketing advantage (USPs). This seems to be
allied to a tendency to treat bikers more like average (dumb) citizens
rather than as a special interest group, and hence protect them from
themselves.

I have to say I've never ridden ABS or Linked, and though the theory sounds
fine, I prefer the more conventional design. (I bet our ancestors said the
same when auto advance/retard became available.) Let's say that if I'd have
bought a BMW instead of the ST, then I would probably have opted for the
ABS, but that the ABS, in itself would not have swayed me in favour of the
BM.

> Also, magazine "research" might be slanted by the skill and
> techniques journalists conducting the test. I am not familiar with 'Das
> Motorrad'? Is it doing accredited research or is it just doing an article?
> You'll have to excuse my skepticism. I usually read a few articles with
> opinions and try to make sense from the lot.

The opinions I've expressed are also those of more than one article, but the
one I quoted had the most graphic data. (The full article compared the
braking efficiency of the ZX9R with the Cagiva Mito 125.)

IMVHO, Das Motorrad is one of the premier German bike publications (I used
to live there). Their technical knowledge and investigative journalism seem
to be way better than anything available on the UK market. Their road tests
are nothing short of comprehensive too. (I might just re-subscribe.) Any
German listers care to offer an opinion here?

'Nuff said?

Regards,
- --
BRG