[ST] Re: Flickability

>>> "Sum1" <iamsumtimes@xxxxxxxx> - 2/22/01 4:45 PM >>>
Well, I have ridden both the ST and RS a considerable amount, including back
to back on the same day. It's all in your head.

Scott Summerhays

Scott,

How hard were you riding? Was it a relaxed ride, or were you out thrashing the bikes? I guess I'm just feeling argumentative today, but I will bet money that the laws of physics will back me up here. Why do you think Ducati is experimenting with double-sided swingarms on its race bikes? And why do you think Honda chose the double-sided swingarm for its RC51? Honda built that bike solely to win a WSB title, and money was not an issue. Hell, they probably lost money on every street going RC51 sold in the States. Honda had a lot of pride resting on the single-sided swingarm concept, but they tossed it aside because getting creamed by Ducati in WSB was even more embarrassing than admitting the single-sided swingarm was just a gimmick, one that was costing them race wins because of the adverse effects the added unsprung weight had on flickability at speed. They wanted what worked best, and what undoubtedly works best is keeping unsprung weight to a minimum.

Face it. Trying to argue that the added unsprung weight doesn't effect flickability is like trying to argue that the earth is flat or that helmets cause more deaths than they prevent. For normal, sane streetriding, there probably is no difference between single- and double-sided swingarms. But right or wrong, I have occaisionally found myself riding fast enough in the twisties to detect the difference.

Darwin