[ST] NYC show, new Daytona LONG

I know you're all weary of these reports, but I must gloat.

I went to the show in NYC today. Worst show in years, because they cut the
floor space by 40%. Cramped, and far fewer vendors.

The new Daytona appeared. I saw it just after they put it up on an elevated
display. I will say that it looks FAR better in person than those web shots.
Still, IMHO, the new one looks too much like a Japanese creation, the older
style has more character.

The good part:

Standing off about 15 feet (5m) away was a pair of blokes. They were
watching reaction to the new n\bike, and one was wearing an "exhibitor"
badge and Triumph Bonneville shirt. I approached, and offered that "it looks
better in person than the web site shots I've seen". The fellow in the
jacket asked if I liked it, "Not as much as the old one, but you have to
appeal to a bigger segment if you want to get more sold." My 11 yr old son
was with me, and as usual, he interrupted. He said he liked the TT600. I
sent him over to grab a poster with the TT on the front and the full line on
the back. While he was gone, I asked the jacketed guy "And what might your
name be, sir?", to which he replied "John Bloor".

My son returned with the poster to say "this will be my first street bike",
and three men shook their heads no. I looked at Mr. Bloor and said they
should now create a new entry level machine. I suggested a "Cub 400" would
be a nice idea. Then my son said he needed a dirt bike too. A chuckle from
the owner-guy and I told my boy they hadn't made one of those since the
"Trophy Trail".

Mr Bloor asked if I owned a Triumph. I told him yes, a 2000 Sprint RS. I
told him a short version of my 1st Bonny, a Trident, a 13 yr hiatus, then
how one day 5 yrs ago, I spotted a Daytona 1200, and right then I decided I
*HAD* to get back on a bike, preferably one of those "new" Triumphs. One
Suzuki later, they made the bike that was PERFECT for my riding, my needs,
in the RS. As he looked over the standard US price list, I commented that
it's a shame my friends in the UK have to pay so much more for a bike they
built, and Mr. Bloor explained the 17.5% V.A.T. that the factory has to add
there before the bikes even hit the sales floor. He seemed really frustrated
by that.

I then thanked Mr. Bloor for the company he'd built, and the bikes he's put
out so far....yada yada....need a Trophy with a  shaft, a race program, a
new bore, stroke & cams for the TT, etc. He then signed my son's poster,
shook my hand, thanked me for my input, and we parted company.

Minutes later, my friend Sean Ford (T5 list, SRNE) came over. He owns a 2000
Daytona 955i, silver. He heard Bloor was around, and I confirmed it, showing
him the poster and told him of our chat. "What's he look like? How's he
dressed?" Sean cried. He really wanted to meet Bloor, but it was not to be,
as he was gone.

I picked up a Frontier Paddock Jacket, a T-shirt for my son, and a nice
conversation with a guy who's done a lot for folks on this list. And made
one or two friends jealous.

Ken M.