[ST] Blue headlights

This is in regards to that thread earlier about blue headlights.  I was doing a little research on the DOT's web site on headlight regulations. (someone had mentioned to me the reason the Vision Plus weren't available here is because they might be illegal i.e. too bright).  Found out something interesting.  there was a "whitesheet" on UVA lights and their effect on visibility.  Evidently a Swedish study on the use of UVA lights showed that they improved visibility by picking up the phosphorescent materials in reflective signs and clothing and such making them more visible at night from a greater distance than just low beam lights alone without the dazzling effects on oncoming traffic that high beams have. An interesting note was that the 'brighteners' used in many laundry detergents are actually phosphorescent in UVA.  So the blue headlight bulbs might be an attempt to add a bit of UV radiation to the headlight beam to improve visibility.  I believe I am over simplifying the!
 descr
iption of why UVA improves vision, there was something about how some of the reflective material alters the wavelength making the normally invisible UVA to visible wavelengths and such.  So some UVA driving lights could help you see roadsigns, road markers and people a bit sooner than with low beams alone.  As for my conclusion as to why vision plus lamps aren't offered over here in the US is that US regulations state that head lamps must be at least 55W and the vision plus are 35W, they are brighter than the 55W because they are more effecient, i.e. they transform more electrical energy into light than heat than halogens.

Oh and on a side note when I mentioned to my dealer that I was getting the vision plus bulbs he mentioned that I might not want to install them due the fact that most of the brighter bulbs tend to melt the plastic lens covers on many of the bikes nowadays, checked philips web site an it appears that this is not a realistic worry for the vision plus, according to the web site the vision plus actually run a bit cooler than normal Halogen bulbs.