Re: [ST] HID Lighting - Digest #117

Sanford, John wrote:

> Personally, I DETEST the new lighting systems.  Mind you, I have never
> driven a car with HID lighting, but I have been BLINDED numerous times by
> them.

It sounds like you dislike the antiquated Department of Transportation
regulations regarding headlight beam patterns for US vehicles, not HID
technology. (Well, HID is bringing to light -- pardon the pun -- the
inadequacies of our current lighting specs.)

In particular, DOT regulations don't allow for the distinct vertical
cut-offs that are possible via the European (E Code) regulations. DOT
regulations actually require a significant amount of light be shot above
the headlight's horizontal plane, ostensibly to illuminate overhead
signs. What lights the signs also ends up blinding oncoming drivers, and
the better lighting systems being developed exacerbate the problem.

Also, many (most?) two-track vehicles in Europe have headlight leveling
systems (manual or automatic) to adjust the height of the headlight
beams depending on the load you're carrying. I'm not a fan of
globalization, but the Europeans are way ahead of us Americans when it
comes to safe lighting. (Silly single light laws for motorcycles aside...)

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA